Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cosmetics!

Thought a useful post would be about what cosmetics to use. It's a minefield out there! Everything is poisonous and I have such a hard time just trying to find the odd product that won't make me ill and will at least keep me clean and presentable to a bare minimum!!

Here are the products I use. I am OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS!!! Please SHARE your recommendations - chemical free of course!!


Just PURE white clay for gentle cleansing. Simply rub the bar of clay onto wet skin,
massage and then  rinse away thoroughly. Feels so good :)

 I use the following:
White Clay bar - above.

Yaoh Hemp Shampoo. This still contains tocopherol (show me a shampoo that doesn't!!!!) and citric acid - probably both corn-derived *sigh* but it is the purest shampoo that actually leaves your hair feeling clean and soft, that I have found.

Oliva soap - this is all I use for washing my face - I am someone who has always had a terrible complexion - until I knocked chemical cosmetic use on the head and stopped eating allergens! Now my skin is better than ever!!! I sometimes use the witch hazel below after a good facial scrub. 

As deodorant, I have no choice other than to simply use an Alan Stone. You just have to wash partway through your day and re-apply (it won't keep you stink-free for 24 hours unlike all the other bizarre and poisonous underarm products!) but it's not bad - particularly when your body is not having to throw out toxins through your sweat constantly!! I find my sweat smells less and less by cutting out allergens :)


For my teeth, I use this Meswak toothpaste - it's organic, it tastes GOOD (!!!) and it WORKS!!! Hallelujah! Took a while to find this, I can tell you. I buy it locally so cannot advise on suppliers!
I mouthwash with Tea Tree oil - Two drops in a little water and swish around for about 30 seconds (if you can stand it!) Keeps Candida at bay.
So there you have it - this is my extensive cleansing regime lol!!


And I occasionally use a clay mask - 100% pink clay. Has an instant effect on my complexion, love it... 

I am a new customer to Bare Minerals Make-up - it has been recommended to me, and although quite pricey, it is worth it for the quality and the knowledge that it is not FULL of crap!! It is made with: Bismuth oxychloride, titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and Mica. So although it is pure and natural, I wouldn't plaster it on everyday of my life!
There :)

As I said, ANY recommendations appreciated but here are my conditions:
Chemical free,
citrus free, (a real problem in natural cosmetics!!)
corn and grain free,
nut free (no almond oil! ANother v difficult one to avoid!)
preferably sunflower oil free
coconut free

(good luck finding ANYTHING without the above in! But feel free to try!!)

Meswak toothpaste blurb: (it's indian and really cute!)
"Imagine a toothpaste that's a rare combination of ancient wisdom and modern science, containing a natural herbal ingredient recommended in renowned ancient scriptures and providing 70 different health benefits for the entire body. Imagine a toothpaste that  is scientifically  proven to help strengthen gums, prevent tooth decay, eliminate bad breath and ensure strong teeth all at once. There is only one such toothpaste in the world - and you're holding it right now!"

Calcium carbonate, sorbitol, aqua, silica, sodium lauyol glutamate, parfum, carragheenam, salvadora persica, sodium hydroxide, eugenol.

I don't know about all these ingredients but it was certainly the best I could find compared to all the other toothpaste I've looked at! (BLOODY LIMONENE in EvERYTHing!!!!!) and I seem to be ok with it :) admittedly, "parfum" is a bit vague for a start...

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, great post thank you. What brand is the Meswak toothpaste, please? Do you have a link for it? I am sure we can do better than that for shampoo. Look in the recent comments on the trulyglutenfree site where I have just recommended the soap nuts, if I recall. I am working currently on the TGF Toiletries - a few coming up - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Meswak toothpaste is Ayurvedic - there are others made in a similar way (I'm not sure this one's easily findable in the UK) the all important ingredient being Miswak. This one is made in India by "Dabur" - it's imported in France by "Kerala Nature"...I'll add in the blurb from the packaging into the above post... Thanks Micki, I'll keep an eye out for those upcoming toiletry recommendations and come read about soap nuts on TGF now! Are these like the laundry soap nuts? -a really good way of cleaning your clothes ecologically and economically! I am looking into shampoo when I get the chance (there is always something I'm allergic to in it, even in the natural ingredients - almond/coconut/limonene/orange oil, you name it, I can't get away from it!) and also into what I can use as a facial moisturiser - being sensitive to nuts, vegetable oils etc makes it complicated to find anything- even 'pure' as it's always in a carrier oil (often almond) or blended! What about argan oil? People say it's from a the Argan nut -but what I read says it's oil from the kernels or seeds found within the 'nut' of the fruit - so maybe it's ok...? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete

feel free to comment/ add your own suggestions or even recipes (with links if you like - let's network darlings! ;D )